We’re in the last month of summer, and that means we’re running out of time to enjoy the abundant fresh summer fruit! Maybe I’m being a little dramatic here, but fruit never tastes as good as it does during the summer. Sure, you can always have a dose of antioxidants from a pack of frozen blueberries in the middle of January, but the subtle sweetness of this delicate fruit will be lost forever at the time it is fast-frozen. So, enjoy nature’s dessert by having it on its own or making this simple salad. You can use the fruits I’ve listed or simply add/subtract fruits to make it exactly to your liking. The dressing is simple and goes well with most fruit (except maybe grapefruit, which I don’t like, so I’ve never experimented with it) salads.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup black figs, diced
- 2 apricots, diced
- 1 nectarine, diced
- 1 yellow peach, diced
- 1 cup green seedless grapes, cut in half
- 1 ripe kent mango, diced
- 2 tbsp. honey roasted peanuts
- 1/5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large lemon’s juice (about 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Combine the first 8 ingredients (all the fruit up to kent mango) in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Combine the salt, lemon juice, honey, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl, and assure that the honey in well blended (that is, there are no clumps of it).
- Add the honey mixture and peanuts to the fruit bowl and toss a few times to coat all the fruit.
- Serve immediately or within the day. Enjoy!