I love granola parfaits and have always felt that attempting to make anything without that sweet crunch would be blasphemous. I may have been a little wrong there. I found out that raspberry plus toasted angel cake topped with creme fraiche is heavenly. And besides being ridiculously delicious and easy to make, you can have this for brunch, snack, or dessert (or for all these times for one of those days). It’s a win-win-win. Enjoy!
- About 1/3 of a normal sized cake cut into 1-inch pieces (it’ll be about 4 cups): I suggest you buy an angel cake to make things easier.
- About 12 ounces of raspberries (or 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar (these will be used at different points, so measure them separately)
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest to mix in, plus more for serving
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread cake pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toast until all edges are golden brown but the center is still soft for all the pieces. This should take about 8–10 minutes. Once done, set them aside and let them cool.
In a small bowl, mash raspberries coarsely using a fork. Add in 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. lime zest. Let the mix sit for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat creme fraiche, cream, and the 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form, which will in about 2 minutes. Do not beat any longer as the mixture will become flat.
Layer cake, raspberry mixture, and cream mixture in glasses or small bowls and top with lime zest. Enjoy!
(Image & recipe via Bon Apptetit)